Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Hinduism Misogynistic?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India

Is Hinduism Misogynistic?

While India id grappling rape epidemic and nirbhaya's case has generated so much outrage that now we have to adress main reason for such incidents ie misogyny

Is Hinduism Misogynistic?
    Is Hinduism misogynistic? While it is true that all the religions exhibit some amount of misogynistic tendencies, from the refusal of Vatican to ordain women priests and bishops to the overly oppressive stance taken by the Muslim mullahs when it comes to the treatment of women, I find the position taken by Hinduism on women particularly pernicious, as it goes to the very core of the religion, viz., the emancipation of the soul.

The issue at hand is this. Does Hinduism allow women to practice Hinduism in its purest? While Hinduism, as practiced by the common man had always been a barter system of quid pro quo, the philosophy and the idea behind Hinduism is anything but materialistic. Called the Vedanta it is concerned with the metaphysical aspects of our existence, our soul, the effect of our actions and thoughts on the soul and the issue of reincarnation and finally emancipation of our soul.

Vedanta in essence states, though there are a few variants of it, we are nothing but a forgotten aspect of God, the Brahman, who exists in all the life forms in this universe. The reason we have forgotten this is because in our ignorance, caused by Maya, we falsely associate ourselves with our physical bodies, instead of the eternal soul that is present in all of us. The moment we realize that our soul is eternal then we free ourselves from the cycle of birth and death, and reach a pure state of bliss, nirvana.

The one and only way for us to realize this, according to Vedanta, is by a focused study of the Vedas and by meditating on Brahman. Everything else we undertake, selfless action, conducting ourselves according to a strict moral code and acts of philanthropy are all just preconditions for purifying our mind to take on the final act of understanding Brahman through study and mediation. Without this final step, however meritorious our life might have been, we are condemned to be born again and again until we exhaust all our Karma.

Here is the catch though. Vedas states only certain people to study the Vedas and Women and Sudras (the lowest of the four castes in India) are persona non grata! While the authors of the Veda have the decency to explicitly prohibit the Sudras from learning the Vedas, they don’t even feel the necessity to do so when it comes to women. It is so obvious that women are not entitled to study it they don’t even feel compelled to deny it explicitly. They do it simply by stating that only after the performance of Upanayana, a religious ceremony exclusively for boys, can one start the study of Vedas, thereby denying entire female sex the opportunity to study the Vedas. Brahma Sutra 1.3.36 states only the twice-born who has gone through the purification ceremony of Upanayana is allowed to study the Vedas – thus effectively prohibiting Sudras and Women from any such attempts.

Griha Sastra clearly states in Sankhayana II-1 who are entitled for Upanayana.

In the eighth year after the conception, let him initiate a Brahmana, with an antelope-skin,
    Or in the tenth year after the conception a Kshatriya with the skin of a spotted deer,
    In the twelfth year after the conception a Vaisya with a cow-hide,
    Until the sixteenth year the time has not passed for a Brahmana,
    Until the twenty-second for a Kshatriya,
    Until the twenty-fourth for a Vaisya
    After that (time has passed), they become patitasavitrika (men who have lost their right of learning the Savitri).
    Let them not initiate such men, nor teach them, nor perform sacrifices for them, nor have intercourse with them.

In addition, Manusmriti states unequivocally that ‘God’ for a woman is her husband and the only thing she can hope for is the privilege of being with her husband in her next life.

Chapter V.154 though destitute of virtue, or seeking pleasure (elsewhere), or devoid of good qualities, (yet) a husband must be constantly worshipped as a god by a faithful wife.

Chapter V.165 She who, controlling her thoughts, words, and deeds, never slights her lord, resides (after death) with her husband (in heaven), and is called a virtuous (wife).

Chapter V.166 In reward of such conduct, a female who controls her thoughts, speech, and actions, gains in this (life) highest renown, and in the next (world) a place near her husband.

Needless to say, it is silent on the question of a husband who has the misfortune of going to hell or being born a Sudra in his next birth.

There are those who now want to denounce Manusmriti on the grounds that it is not part of Sruti – but Manusmriti is nothing but a distilled version of the Vedas, that deals with the code of conduct of the Hindus.

Even Sankara in his Bhasya on Brahma Sutra quotes the Smriti’s extensively in support of his arguments on the ground Smriti’s derive its authority from the Sruti’s.

This prohibition of women from reading the Vedas incidentally is why we don’t have any women priests in India.

Besides, the treatment of women as the property of man is codified in Vedas themselves. For example Brihadaranyaka 6.4.6 and 6.4.7 says how a man should overpower and rape a woman if she is unwilling to yield to his sexual advances.

Now, if a man sees himself (his reflection) in water, he should recite the following mantra: "May the gods bestow on me vigor, manhood, fame, wealth and merit." In praise of the wife who will bear him a son: She (his wife) has put on the soiled clothes of impurity; she is, verily, loveliness among women. Therefore when she has removed the clothes of impurity and appears beautiful, he should approach her and speak to her.

If she does not willingly yield her body to him, he should buy her with presents. If she is still unyielding, he should strike her with a stick or with his hand and overcome her, repeating the following mantra: "With power and glory I take away your glory." Thus she becomes discredited.

If this is not pure misogyny then you must be from Saudi Arabia.

They say Hinduism is the most tolerant religion; a religion that condemns 62.5% of its population (50% women and 1/4th Sudra men) direct recourse to God. I would hate to think what we would do if we were any less tolerant.
    The Following User Says Thank You to ajtr For This Useful Post: Ghaznavi

Last edited by ajtr; 4th January 2013 at 16:49.
    Main tere naseeb ki barish nahi Jo tujh pe baras jaon
    Tujhe taqdeer badalni hogi mujhe panay ke liye....!!!!

मैं तेरे नसीब की बारिश नहीं जो तुझ पे बरस जाऊं,
    तुझे तकदीर बदलनी होगी मुझे पाने के लिए ....!!!!

'میں تیرے نصیب کی بارش نہیں جو تجھ پہ برس جاؤں
    تجھے تقدیر بدلنی ہوگی مجھے پانے کے لئے

"I'm not the rain of your fortune that i'll fall on you.You've to change your fate in order to get me."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India
    No more celebration of misogyny !

India is celebrating Diwali, the festival of lights. But Indian feminist author Rita Banerji is not celebrating it, because she does not like the Diwali story. She thinks the gods and the traditions people celebrate in India, contain the seeds of violence against women and girls. She says:
    Diwali is the annual, Indian festival of lamps, and the Hindu god Ram is the hero of this festival. The story goes, that Ram’s wife, Sita, was abducted by the Sri Lankan king, Ravana, (who usually is portrayed as an ogre in Indian myths to contrast with Ram’s godliness). Ram collected an army and went to battle Ravana, defeating and killing him, and rescued his wife. When he returned to India with Sita, the Indians celebrated his victory and valor by lighting thousands of oil lamps. The lamps symbolized the victory of light over dark, i.e. the power of ‘good’ over ‘evil.’
    So Diwali, with its lamps, lights and fire-crackers is a bright and noisy celebration of Ram’s victory and goodness. This is a man who went to war for his wife! Doesn’t that make him an ideal husband material for any woman? Young, unmarried Indian women are often told in blessing, “May you get a good husband like Ram.”
    Recently an Indian politician—incidentally also with the first name Ram—Ram Jethmalani, took exception to this notion and said, “Ram was a bad husband.” His remark caused an uproar in the right-wing conservative circles in India (to which Jethmalani actually belongs!), that for long have nurtured a vision of India’s future as one that would resemble Ram’s kingdom – the Ram rajya.
    Jethmalani’s contempt concerns what Ram did after he returned home with Sita. Reportedly Ram overheard a washerman’s remark doubting Sita’s sexual “purity.” During her captivity surely Sita was raped, which in the washerman’s , as indeed probably much of the public’s perception, rendered Sita “impure.” Eager to restore his exalted status in the public’s eye, Ram decided to banish Sita to the woods, even though she was pregnant at the time.
    Sita’s years in exile are paradoxically reflective of the lives of thousands of women in India’s slums and villages today, who’re often abandoned by their husbands, and like Sita they live like outcastes, in poverty, struggling to singly raise their children. Ram’s attempt to have Sita prove her “purity” by stepping into fire (from which she apparently emerged unsinged!) is also evocative of the fate of thousands of young women, in the 21st century India, who are burnt to death for dowry by their husbands and in-laws, the so-called “bride burnings.”
    Sita’s life has embedded in it one other tragic element of what it means to be female in India. And that’s female infanticide. Sita was found by her adoptive father, buried alive in a pot beneath the ground, a method still used sometimes for killing female infants. Every year, thousands of girls, within the first year of their birth, continue to be murdered in various ways in India, just because of their gender.
    So it turns out that – the myths, the gods, the history, and the traditions, we continue to eulogize and celebrate in India, contain in them the seeds of violence on women and girls.
    Do we have the conscience to say – Sorry Ram! But you are no role model for men in India today?
    I think for starters, we need a major re-haul in the concept of Diwali as it stands. I propose we re-name it “Sita-wali,” and observe it as a day of confession and atonement for the wrongs done by society towards Sita and the women and girls of India.
    Unless India learns to do that, it remains a spiritually hypocritical nation, stuck in the lies of misogynistic myths and traditions.
    Religious or spiritual ceremonies are not only unscientific, unjust and unequal, most of the times they are anti-women. Gods and religions were created by men who strongly believed in patriarchy. We do not need to waste our times on gods. There is absolutely no need to make a bunch of patriarchal gods women-friendly gods. We do not live in gods’ weird world, because that world does not exist. We should rather inspire patriarchal men to be better men, to resist themselves from being influenced by misogynist gods and to stop harassing, torturing, abusing, killing women. The time has come to bury misogyny with mythology and return to reality.

"I'm not the rain of your fortune that i'll fall on you.You've to change your fate in order to get me."

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    India UK
    @ajtr, are you going to hold Hinduism responsible for this hideous disgraceful act? Do you think Hinduism teaches this behaviour from mankind? I am appalled and distressed at recent events and wish i could wake up from this nightmare but cant.
    These bas tards were individuals and should suffer the worst type of punishment.
    There are good and bad in all religions and cultures. Hinduism is no different. Please dont tarnish us all with the same brush or blame the religion
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManojKumar For This Useful Post: kaykay,Wajid47

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India
    Quote Originally Posted by ManojKumar View Post
    @ajtr, are you going to hold Hinduism responsible for this hideous disgraceful act? Do you think Hinduism teaches this behaviour from mankind? I am appalled and distressed at recent events and wish i could wake up from this nightmare but cant.
    These bas tards were individuals and should suffer the worst type of punishment.
    There are good and bad in all religions and cultures. Hinduism is no different. Please dont tarnish us all with the same brush or blame the religion
    I'm searching for causes from cultural to religious to social for such ghastly act.Btw minor is a muslim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Pakistan Pakistan
    I see @KRAIT here, who was much more concerned on another forum about this rape case bringing bad name to India rather than talking about the societal change needed in India to overcome such muck. And he was cribbing about so many threads being opened about it. This is the response and I think this is the kind of chauvinism that India has to fight against in order to clear its image rather than hiding it under the carpet through attempts of people like @KRAIT.

Most of us have heard the Brahmin male propaganda that the customs of sati, dowry, female infanticide and all other social suppression of women in India is the result of social degeneration, corruption, or still worse, foreign, Christian or Muslim influence. This is all one big lie designed to fool women. The reasons are far more deep-rooted, and are fully the result of Brahmin male
    Chauvinistic approach.
    The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dash For This Useful Post: ajtr,Aryan_B,Express,Hope,PK_BALOCH,Sinbad,truthseer,Wajid47

Last edited by Dash; 31st December 2012 at 23:34.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Pakistan Pakistan
    @KRAIT must know that the real reason for the sad state of Indian women is the continuation of the Vedic and Vaishnava religions, collectively referred to as Brahminism or Astika Hinduism. These religions clearly and unambiguously justify and prescribe the crushing of women to the status of sub-humans. Rather than being due to some kind of corruption, the ghastly practices of sati, female infanticide, dowry and related acts are actually enforced by Vedic and Hindu scriptures. Although this may sound like some Christian or Muslim propaganda, it honestly is not.

Far from being enlightened and progressive, Brahmanism is in fact the very fountain of the evils of sati, female infanticide, devadasism and dowry.
    The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dash For This Useful Post: ajtr,Aryan_B,Express,Hope,Sinbad,truthseer,Wajid47

Thanks
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Pakistan Pakistan
    Does @KRAIT and his ilk have an answer or do they want to hide this under the carpet to avoid a bad name to India by continuing to let the Indian women be raped by their own.
    The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dash For This Useful Post: ajtr,Aryan_B,Express,Hope,Sinbad,truthseer,Wajid47

Thanks
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Pakistan Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    I see @KRAIT here, who was much more concerned on another forum about this rape case bringing bad name to India rather than talking about the societal change needed in India to overcome such muck. And he was cribbing about so many threads being opened about it. This is the response and I think this is the kind of chauvinism that India has to fight against in order to clear its image rather than hiding it under the carpet through attempts of people like @KRAIT.

Most of us have heard the Brahmin male propaganda that the customs of sati, dowry, female infanticide and all other social suppression of women in India is the result of social degeneration, corruption, or still worse, foreign, Christian or Muslim influence. This is all one big lie designed to fool women. The reasons are far more deep-rooted, and are fully the result of Brahmin male
    Chauvinistic approach.
    TBH In this matter i really dont care about India getting a bad name nor should those that care about the nation. The likes of @KRAIT and this type should focus on the issue and nothing else. They sould focus on educating and potentially changing the mindset of peoples.
    I am pleased and proud how all members have not shunned away on this forum as regards to this sensitive topic, nor has anyone allowed this thread to turn into bashing Indians thread.
    In discussing and sharing opinion on this forum will hopefully bring attention and highlight our strong support in Indian government taking strong decisive action and punish the scum that do acts of this nature.
    As for male chauvinistic chaps like this character - go and get a life and start respecting women the way they should be and stop burying your head in the sand.
    The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hope For This Useful Post: ajtr,Aryan_B,Dash,Express,Sinbad,truthseer,Wajid47

Last edited by Hope; 1st January 2013 at 00:06.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Pakistan Pakistan
    I do not think that @KRAIT's of India will be able to stop this movement. In any case, I don't think @KRAIT has the guts to answer the people in a free and open forum without the support of his ilk in the Indian Chat Room that he posts so bravely in, displaying his pseudo-male chauvinism, hiding behind some skirts.
    The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dash For This Useful Post: ajtr,Aryan_B,Express,Hope,truthseer,Wajid47

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Pakistan Pakistan
    Does @KRAIT and his ilk have an answer or do they want to hide this under the carpet to avoid a bad name to India by continuing to let the Indian women be raped by their own.
    I think he done a runner Ticker sahib. Says it all. Shame on him
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wajid47 For This Useful Post: ajtr,Dash,Hope

Thanks
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Pakistan United States
    I see @KRAIT here, who was much more concerned on another forum about this rape case bringing bad name to India rather than talking about the societal change needed in India to overcome such muck. And he was cribbing about so many threads being opened about it.
    I believe these kinds of attitudes, that care more about 'bringing a bad reputation to ones nation' rather than welcoming increased and open debate about societal ills, are prevalent on both sides, and in fact primarily responsible for poisoning the tone of discourse on sites frequented by individuals from different nations and faiths.

While some people merely express their concern about open discourse on societal ills establishing a bad rep, others choose to hijack the discourse by instead pointing out how their neighboring countries are worse or as bad. What people need to realize is that it is the open and honest discussion of societal ills by the citizenry of a country that starts the process of not only addressing the issues that plague said society, but also start the process of rehabilitating the image of that society/nation because it is through such discourse that outsiders realize that not all Indians/Pakistanis are silent about such ills, that the citizenry is taking an active interest in creating awareness about societal ills and trying to bring about positive change.
    The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AgNoStIc MuSliM For This Useful Post: Aryan_B,curioususer,Express,Sinbad

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India
    Shame on women!

Even educated women still practice various customs, cultures and traditions that are anti-women.
    Mangalsutra
    A woman wears Mangalsutra, a black beads necklace, for her husband’s health and well-being. Would a man wear a Mangalsutra for his wife’s health and well-being? Hell no!

Sindoor
    Married women wear vermilion or Sindoor on the forehead and along the hair parting line. The Sindoor symbolizes the deep respect, devotion and dedication of a Hindu woman to her husband. Would a married man wear Sindoor on his forehead for the same purpose? Hell no!

Sankha Pola Loha
    Married women wear bangles: Sankha, Pola and Loha for husband’s health. Did a man ever wear Sankha, Pola, or Loha for his wife’s health? Hell no!

Bhai Phota
    ‘Bhai Phota’ is performed by women. They fast and put an auspicious mark with sandal wood paste on their brothers’ foreheads, feed them sweets, give them gifts and pray for their health, happiness and prosperity. Is there a system that a man also fast and put an auspicious mark on his sister’s forehead and pray for her health, happiness and prosperity? Hell no!

Karwa Chauth
    People still believe that abstaining from meals, or fasting, can prolong the life of a loved one. Women fast for 24 hours to ensure that their husbands live long lives. Do men do the same for their wives? Hell no!

Touching husband’s feet
    A woman bows her head, touches her husband’s feet, takes the dust from the feet and put them on her head on her wedding day to show her submission to her husband. Would a man ever do this? Hell no!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedding-200x300.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	2603
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajtr For This Useful Post: Dash,Hope,truthseer

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India
    Jamai Sasthi or Son-in-law Day
    Jamai Sasthi ritual is celebrated for health and well-being of son-in-law. The son-in-law is invited to a grand celebration in the house of his in-laws. He is served delicious food. Is it possible to have a similar celebration for health and well-being of daughter-in-law? Hell no!

There are hundreds of anti-women rituals that Hindu women perform without questioning. It is alarming that women still perform these rituals in the 21st century. Throughout history sane people have made many misogynistic cultures go extinct. But in some countries, patriarchal traditions are celebrated more ceremoniously than ever. You may say only illiterate women do it, women’s education will solve all the problems. But the truth is, educated women perform anti-women patriarchal rituals more perfectly than illiterate women, because educated women have better learning capacity. They learn every small details of patriarchy that illiterate women can not learn.
    Who will fight misogynistic tradition if modern women remain busy practicing it? A few reformist men in the 19th century fought for abolishing Suttee (widow burning), for women’s education, and for widows’ remarriage. In the 21st century, a new set of enlightened revolutionary men is probably needed to save women from the darkness.
    The Following User Says Thank You to ajtr For This Useful Post: Dash

Last edited by ajtr; 3rd January 2013 at 12:42.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India
    As a country we transitioning and seeing a lot of social unrest. A boy who at home has seen that its okay for your father to physically abuse your mother, ill-treat your sister clearly learns to be dis respectful to women. As the same boy comes in the main society and sees that there are these other females who are watching a movie, cultivating a relationship something snaps in their mind. And then the horrendous acts of cruelty.
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajtr For This Useful Post: Dash,Hope

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    India India
    I thought @KRAIT is a female.

If Hinduism is misogynistic, why does it have goddesses? The reason women are not allowed to study Vedas is because females can achieve 'Moksha' through their fertility. A lot of yogis said if they had a choice they would chose to be born as girls.
    Last edited by curioususer; 1st January 2013 at 01:00.
    "If the Arabs, the Turks or the Iranians, God forbid, give up Islam, the Arabs yet remain Arabs, the Turks remain Turks, the Iranians remain Iranians, But what do we remain if we give up Islam?" A Pakistani scholar, 1970's.

"India and Pakistan are one country separated by a historical screw-up."

Please note: Quotes in my signature are not my words but I share the sentiment of those words.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Pakistan England
    Quote Originally Posted by AgNoStIc MuSliM View Post
    I believe these kinds of attitudes, that care more about 'bringing a bad reputation to ones nation' rather than welcoming increased and open debate about societal ills, are prevalent on both sides, and in fact primarily responsible for poisoning the tone of discourse on sites frequented by individuals from different nations and faiths.

While some people merely express their concern about open discourse on societal ills establishing a bad rep, others choose to hijack the discourse by instead pointing out how their neighboring countries are worse or as bad. What people need to realize is that it is the open and honest discussion of societal ills by the citizenry of a country that starts the process of not only addressing the issues that plague said society, but also start the process of rehabilitating the image of that society/nation because it is through such discourse that outsiders realize that not all Indians/Pakistanis are silent about such ills, that the citizenry is taking an active interest in creating awareness about societal ills and trying to bring about positive change.
    I think there are posts on forum very early on by me followed up by you agreeing. It was on the matter of banned topics. All agreed that it was silly to ban topics on the basis that some would use the said topics to humilate or offend. The topic given as an example was starving and hunger. It was agreed that provided discussions were genuine and in addressing the problem rather than to humiliate discussion would be allowed. Hunger and starvation rape etc are ills that effect society how ludicrous for us therefore to even consider banning these topics because some simply lack the education or intellect to have meaningful discussion.

We now have the situation where the Hindu newspaper in India openly discusses issues like rape, dalit, starvation hunger in India. Similarly Pakistani newspapers talk about hunger rape and other ills and other problems Pakistan faces. Yet some out there expect us to pretend and lie to ourselves that these ills dont exist and not allow and or ban these topics off forum. What freedom of speech is that?? What point of debate if you set parameters where truth can not be told.
    The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aryan_B For This Useful Post: AgNoStIc MuSliM,Dash,truthseer,Wajid47

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    India India
    @ajtr

You ask if men would do something similar for women, if you want men to do that(like wear mangalsutra, etc), why don't women invent them? Why don't women design and buy their men jewellery? If it is not happening it is because of women's and girls fault only. But women and girl don't do this because they don't want to play second fiddle to a man's or boy's beauty. They want to be the sole object of beauty. BTW a lot of women and girls enjoy doing those as it allows themselves to celebrate their beauty.
    "If the Arabs, the Turks or the Iranians, God forbid, give up Islam, the Arabs yet remain Arabs, the Turks remain Turks, the Iranians remain Iranians, But what do we remain if we give up Islam?" A Pakistani scholar, 1970's.

Please note: Quotes in my signature are not my words but I share the sentiment of those words.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pakistan India
    Quote Originally Posted by curioususer View Post
    I thought Krait is a female.

If Hinduism is misogynistic, why does it have goddesses? The reason women are not allowed to study Vedas is because females can achieve 'Moksha' through their fertility. A lot of yogis said if they had a choice they would chose to be born as girls.
    you mean goddess like laxmi......................

or

like godess sita....................

The Following User Says Thank You to ajtr For This Useful Post: Dash

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    India India
    I mean goddesses like Durga and Kali.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Pakistan England
    @ajtr the issue with all the things that women do for men I dont see much wrong with them only that men should be prepared do them for their women too. (I would btw)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Aryan_B For This Useful Post: curioususer

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast